Natural Therapy Imports is an Australian Company responsible for the supply and distribution of Mutaflor® Escherichia coli strain Nissle 1917.
Healthcare Professionals can register to access pharmacological and clinical data.
Mutaflor® is available without prescription from selected pharmacies and medical dispensaries. Simply enter your suburb/postcode to find nearest dispensary. New Zealand patients can order Mutaflor® via ….
Mutaflor® is a probiotic that comprises as its active substance a viable non-pathogenic strain of Escherichia coli (E.coli). First isolated in 1917 by Professor Alfred Nissle from the faeces of a soldier during the First World War who as he remarked, “in contrast to the large majority of his comrades, had suffered neither from dysentery nor from any other intestinal diseases”. Thereafter, appropriately named Escherichia coli strain Nissle 1917.
Mutaflor® is registered in Australia at AUST R level for the relief and management of chronic constipation. Your healthcare practitioner may also wish to utilise this strain for its pharmacological and metabolic properties.
Characteristics of Escherichia coli strain Nissle 1917.
- the ability to colonize
- antagonistic activity – Inhibition of growth and or killing of pathogens
- anti-invasive – prevention of colonisation in the gut by pathogens
- synthesis of endogenous antimicrobial peptides-defensins
- mucosal integrity – contributing to luminal metabolism and stability of intestinal milieu-enhanced epithelial barrier function
- anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects
- stimulation of colonic mucosa
The therapeutic effects of Mutaflor® are strain specific and have been demonstrated by in-vitro and in-vivo experiments and clinical studies. Mutaflor® Escherichia coli strain Nissle 1917 (EcN) is arguably one of the best studied and field tested probiotic strains and fulfills all the demanding criteria and characteristics required for a medicinal probiotic.
As one of the first colonizers of the infant gut, Escherichia coli plays a vital role in the establishment and maintenance of a healthy gut and provides a microbial barrier against pathogenic bacteria. As a result of its numerous metabolic activities, Escherichia coli is responsible for the production of many essential metabolites. Escherichia coli produces chorismate (chorismic acid) which in turn is the precursor for:
- folic acid
- the amino acids, tryptophan
- tyrosine, phenylalanine…and these in turn, the precursor to dopamine, a neurotransmitter.
- menaquinone (Vit K2)
E.coli’s consumption of oxygen, production of short- chain fatty acids (SCFA) helps create an environment in which subsequent anaerobic microorganisms can establish and so begins this complex Gut Microbiome which will play a crucial role in our health.
Here, Mutaflor® will show the minimum viable cell count that would exist at the end of shelf life, as per product stability studies. So, while our label states ‘not less than 250 million CFU‘ recent batches of Mutaflor® were packaged with CFU’s of 1.2×10¹° or 12 billion colony forming units.
1. Prof.Tore Midtvedt, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm.
2. Maltby R, Lestham-Jensen MP,et al. PLoS ONE 8(1): e53957. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0053957 Nutritional Basis for Colonization Resistance by Human Commensal Escherichia coli Strains HS and Nissle 1916 against E. coli 0157:H7 in the Mouse Intestine.